Former Premier Services Medical Aid Society chief executive officer Cuthbert Dube is in trouble. The government wants $22 million that he and his management allegedly siphoned from the company between 2009 and 2013 according to The Sunday Mail.
The paper, which was recently commended in Parliament for its coverage of the PSMAS scandal, said a forensic audit of the medical aid society carried out by Ernst and Young indicated that 11 executives of PSMAS raked in US$22,.8 million in allowances dispensed outside the official payroll.
The audit report recommended that all loans and cash paid for trips not on PSMAS business, for example, the Zimbabwe Football Association, paid to Dube and his executive managers should be repaid.
“All loans and cash payments which were paid to Dr Dube and executive management must be recovered in full. Any monies paid to people other than PSMAS employees, for example Dr Dube’s daughter and son-in-law and other extended family members should be recovered in full. Even for those who have since left the employment of PSMAS who unjustly enriched themselves should be followed up and the amounts owed recovered,” the audit report said.
Bulawayo South Member of Parliament Eddie Cross introduced a motion in Parliament last week calling on the government to bring to book all those involved in the PSMAS scandal.
He also detailed some of the findings of the report including the fact that Dube earned $13 000 a day on average between 2009 and 2013. Dube also received travel allowances of $3 000 a day, $2 000 for himself and $1 000 for his wife.
Cross said the 11 executives were paid a total of $119 million during the period.