Wednesday, 05 July 2017
Statement by MDC President Tsvangirai on the occasion of the signing of an Alliance MOU with Transform Zimbabwe
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The MDC remains on course on its programme of action to provide leadership to the people of Zimbabwe by mobilizing them for change.
Our teams are currently travelling the length and breadth of this country as we speak, empowering individuals and communities to take their destiny into their own hands educating them on their voting rights and assisting them with ideas on how to confront the challenges that we are all currently facing.
The country is bleeding and what is required is focused action on the ground in our various communities. Robert Mugabe and ZANU-PF are not only clueless but they are also insensitive to the plight of the people.
A few weeks ago, our policy Council completed a review of our policy Agenda. An agenda that should take us out of the current man made crisis. Robert Mugabe and ZANU-PF’s days are numbered. We need to reclaim our country and:
- Resuscitate our mines and industries in order to create jobs,
- Make our education and health services accessible and affordable
- Provide housing opportunities for the homeless
- End the cash crisis and the cycle of poverty gripping our nation.
- Provide support to our informal sector and vulnerable members of our society
- Pay special attention to the needs of our compatriots living with disabilities
- Respect and protect workers’ rights
- Give title as opposed to revocable offer letters and leases to our new farmers so that their stay on the farms is not subject to the whims of any governing party
- Compensate old farmers
- Reinstate the national rather than partisan standing of our liberation war veterans
- Rehabilitate our infrastructure and economic enablers and
- Eradicate corruption
For us to do this we need all our hands on deck. We need to come together as Zimbabweans to end our misery. None but ourselves can get us out of this mess.
Continued next page