The MDC Alliance yesterday welcomed the military intervention by the country’s defence forces saying this resonated with the national public sentiments but called for an inclusive transitional mechanism to return the country to constitutionality.
The Zimbabwe Defence Forces took over the country on Wednesday to weed out criminals and counter-revolutionaries and insisted that this was not a coup.
MDC Alliance leader Morgan Tsvangirai has already indicated that he will participate in a new transitional government if invited.
“If we are approached, we'll participate. But for now it’s still speculation. Nothing has been initiated yet but I hope there will come a time when it is,” Tsvangirai told a South African newspaper.
Full statement below:
Friday, 17 November 2017
Press Statement by the MDC Alliance
The Principals of the MDC Alliance met today, 17th of November 2017 in Harare and considered the current situation in the country and resolved as follows:
1. Noted the Military intervention against President Mugabe and his government and considered such action to resonate with the national public sentiments and hence irreversible in effect and fact.
2. Commended the military for respecting the sanctity of the lives of all Zimbabweans and appealed to them to continue to ensure that nothing is done which may result in loss of life.
3. Appealed to the authorities currently in charge of the country to respect the constitutional rights of all Zimbabweans.
4. Appealed to SADC, the AU and the UN to assist the people of Zimbabwe in ensuring that there is a peaceful and irreversible transition to democratic people centred rule.
5.That there must be an all inclusive transitional mechanism with a mandate to:
- Return and restore the country to constitutionality and constitutionalism
- Ensure economic stabilisation to bring to an end the current economic and social suffering of the people.
- Adopt and implement democratisation measures and electoral reforms leading to free and fair elections within the shortest possible time and resulting in the birth of a legitimate government with the full and unconditional support of the people.
Morgan R. Tsvangirai
MDC ALLIANCE PRESIDENT