President Emmerson Mnangagwa delivered his maiden State of the Nation Address today, emphasizing that growing the economy is a top priority for his administration.
Below are the key highlights of his speech.
- Government to increase productivity and capacity utilization across all sectors.
- Government is developing a local content policy to boost local manufacturing capacity.
- Ease of Doing Business Reforms to be implemented with renewed impetus.
- To remove any policy inconsistencies and harmonize investment laws to make Zimbabwe an attractive destination for capital.
- Government to unveil a robust engagement and engagement programme with the international community.
- To unveil a programme of the reforms for state enterprises and parastatals in the first quarter next year.
- Government to provide monetary incentives for the support of domestic and export production.
- Mnangagwa vows to tackle corruption and build a transparent economy.
- Corruption of parceling out of land to land barons and the construction of houses on undesignated areas in a haphazard manner to stop.
- Government to ensure that the 2018 harmonised general elections will be credible, free and fair.
- The economy is forecast to grow in 2018, buoyed by the rebound in agriculture and mining.
- To capacitate the responsible agencies and stop the porous nature of Zimbabwe’s borders.
- Implored the business community to show restraint and avoid wanton hiking of prices.
- Government rolling out the Business Incubation programme to several towns and rural service centers to unlock growth potential of small to medium enterprises.
- Government, in partnership with the private sector, is working on a comprehensive business ecosystem around the Tokwe-Mukosi Dam.